Fear Farm by Vincent RalphMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Thanks so much to Netgalley and St. Martin's Wednesday books for the pre-release copy of Fear Farm by Vincent Ralph. Below is my honest review.
I'm really sad that this is the final book in the series. Surely there are more bloody, scary, creepy tales from the town of Bleak Haven that you guys can contract Ralph for, right? Please?
This one is more in line with the first two in terms of quality for me, having been let down by book three a little.
We've got the scary farm where a lady runs a haunt attraction and bad things keep happening. We've got the mysterious warnings and "accidents" where people get hurt. We've got fake weapons turning out to be real weapons, big name movie stars coming back to town for a visit, and all sorts of shenanigans with blood. Once the real murder starts, there's no letting up until the end.
My favorite part about this one is that the twist is SO OBVIOUS and I missed it entirely. There's a good amount of "look over there" and "no wait, look that way instead" but most of that is clear misdirection, but then the actual reveal happened and I was stunned that I missed it. And I feel like many would miss it alongside me. Or at least I'm telling myself that.
It's not often that a mystery pulls one over on me so well, so I'm pleased with my reading experience. :)
Five stars, read the rest if you enjoy creepy YA horror in the vein of Fear Street and Goosebumps with some Scream/Friday the 13th style slashery-ness and Stephen King "this stuff keeps happening in the same town" vibes thrown in for good measure.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment