Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Monday, May 18, 2015

Emergence: Dave vs. the Monsters by John Birmingham (DNF)

Emergence: Dave vs. the Monsters by John Birmingham
Published 2015, Del Rey
Stars: ☆☆☆☆☆ (DNF)

 I'm just not going to be able to finish this book.  I've read around 20%, and I can't find a single thing redeemable or potentially redeemable about the main character, and the gratuitous abuse of crude humor and curse words, which isn't a problem for me in general, is so beyond excessive that it's disgusting... and borderline "trying too hard."

It's a shame really, because the concept is an awesome one -- beefy guy, rough around the edges, rugged, messy life, forced into being a hero when a bunch of monsters spring up from under the sea.  Unfortunately for Dave Hooper, I won't be there for his adventure nor for his path to becoming a real hero.

I think what really turned me off was the comment in the first chapter, about the three things he tasted when he burped up the night before -- liquor, snack food, and lady parts.  But it was much more graphic in description than that.  I gave it a few more chapters, but had to DNF.  Just wasn't for me, with the MC as a racist, a misogynist, a homophobe, a deadbeat, a potty mouth, a druggie, a tax evader, an adulterer, and all around gross.  This author seems to be seeing how much he can get away with, and it doesn't work with this reader.
Thanks to Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this galley.  Wish it had worked more for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment