Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Review: Sleep No More

Sleep No More Sleep No More by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Thanks to Netgalley and to DAW for gifting me an early copy of this book and its followup, The Innocent Sleep. You'll find my honest review below. If you haven't read the rest of the series, especially Be the Serpent, please skip this review. I'm avoiding spoilers, but it might still reveal a little more than you'd want to know.

I don't even know where to begin... after the cliffhanger that Seanan McGuire so cruelly left us with at the end of Be the Serpent (I can still hear her maniacal laughter, unless that belongs to The Summer Queen...), I have been living in a state much like Toby - blurred, unreal, and going through the motions. This book brought me back to reality in all the right ways.

First, we have an entirely new world, thanks to You Know Who, evil jerk that she turned out to be... or do we? It seems that a few territories have been affected by magic, changing those who live inside them to who She wants them to be - to get the inconvenient ones out of her way, to trap her enemies where they don't question her, and to remake some parts of Faerie over into the one she always wanted. Of course, her magic isn't entirely capable of all of that, but that doesn't mean she is without a plan. Thankfully, not everyone is as vulnerable to illusions as the rest, but alas, dear Toby is VERY entrenched in her new life and new reality.

Cue the outsiders rocking her world.

This one was a romp through Toby's history, through the world of Faerie as we know it - and as She made it anew, and towards Toby's future.

Highly recommended for urban fantasy fans, folklore fans, Fae story fans... but PLEASE, I BEG OF YOU, start at the beginning. Don't just jump in here. You'll regret missing SO MUCH.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment