Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Review: The Sight

The Sight The Sight by Melanie Golding
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Thanks to Netgalley and Crooked Lane for gifting me an early copy of this book. Below is my honest review:

This is my second book by Melanie Golding. I loved Little Darlings so much, and was really excited about this one. Apparently, I somehow missed getting my hands on The Hidden, so I'll have to remedy that as soon as possible.

The Sight involves a character named Faith who, since childhood, has had the ability to see how people are going to die when she makes eye contact with them. It causes strife on the family run circus she works for, both as a child and as an adult, when the powers are used. Most of the circus workers feel like it's an evil curse and not a gift, so they treat her very poorly over the years.

As the story progresses, we see her come to grips with her gift, learning not to shun it. Of course, it takes a long time, most of the book, for real progress to be made.

I wasn't pleased with one aspect of the ending, so I had to cut a star. I can't mention it here, because I don't want to spoil.

Included in that star reduction is my confusion as to the first time her powers showed up - did it happen while she was sleeping, rather than when she made eye contact? My curiosity towards that inconsistency was hard to shake.

All in all, another win for Golding. I can't wait to catch up on The Hidden and very much look forward to whatever great tale she comes up with next.

Definitely recommended, especially for fans of dark, horror-adjacent-but-not-quite-horror paranormal tales that have deep characters and gripping plots.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment