Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Review: Black Sheep

Black Sheep Black Sheep by Rachel Harrison
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Thanks to Netgalley and Berkley for the advanced copy of this book. Below is my honest review.

Hello, fellow readers. I have to admit something. I've turned down ARCs of Rachel Harrison before. I know, I know. You're seeing that and thinking, "What's wrong with him? He should have jumped at the chance!" I know that now, and I'm here to make amends.

I picked up Black Sheep because it seemed like it would be a fun horror cult story. And it was. I mean, it was fun for me. It wasn't really fun for Vesper. It was brutal for her. It was so fun, in fact, that I read it in two sittings. I would have read it in one sitting, had I not started it at 1:30am or so after finishing another ARC and not being ready to sleep yet. I read 26%, felt myself crashing, and called it a night. Then, the following evening, I picked it back up and tore through the rest, reading until 3am. It was dang near impossible to put down.

Did I guess one of the big reveals? Yeah, but I'm not entirely sure it was supposed to be a shock to us as the reader. I think we're supposed to know about it and be watching for her to pick up on the clues that lead her to the revelation (see what I did there? Apocalypse pun!).

The author knew just how to end each chapter to make me say, "Okay, fine, I'll read ONE more" deep into the night. She plotted it almost perfectly, really made you feel connected to some of the characters.

I own my past mistakes - Rachel Harrison, please forgive me! I promise I'll make it right by reading your entire back catalogue as soon as humanly possible.

Absolutely and highly recommended to any and all horror/horror adjacent/urban fantasy fans. This was a total diamond of a story! Five stars!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment