Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Review: All the Dead Shall Weep

All the Dead Shall Weep All the Dead Shall Weep by Charlaine Harris
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Thanks to Netgalley and Gallery/Saga Press for gifting me an early copy of this novel. Below is my honest review.

I'm not sure what's up with this one, but it feels... unfinished. It feels like the middle of a larger book, with lots of random action but no real plotline driving the story forward. Honestly, it felt like an episode of a TV show where some of the season-long main storyline is progressed a little bit, but there is no start or finish to a storyline for the specific episode.

In addition to this, there is some conflict between Lizbeth and Eli that makes absolutely no sense. It felt forced and contrived, and I wasn't a fan of it, especially considering it's bashed in your face the whole book.

There's also one part where it's just like "Oh, dead, okay." I was taken aback that it was so nonchalant.

And I wasn't pleased with how the Native American character felt extremely stereotypical and tropy, rather than realistic or respectful.

There were pros to this book though. Lizbeth and Felicia's relationship takes front and center, and they grow closer as sisters. We also get to see more of Lizbeth's mother and stepdad and friends in her hometown. We get to see the extent of Felicia's abilities, and we get to meet quite a few potential suitors for her for the upcoming Wizard Ball, where she might be expected to find a husband. And let's not forget the mention of Agatha Christie, or the name drop at the end that sets up some serious implications for future books.

I still enjoyed the book overall, mostly because it does push the story forward and I have enjoyed the rest of the series, so I'll definitely pick up the next book when it comes out. But I can't recommend this one nearly as much as the earlier ones in the series. It just wasn't as strong.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment