Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Friday, October 21, 2022

Review: Dead Man's Hand

Dead Man's Hand Dead Man's Hand by James J. Butcher
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Thanks to Netgalley and Berkley for the early copy. This is my honest review.

Jim Butcher has made a big name for himself in the Urban Fantasy book world. He's huge! So when his son decided to throw his name into the ring as well, I knew I had to give him a shot - a fair one, of course, without judging him by his father's reputation.

I'm so happy that I did! What a fun story! The world-building was great - it was revealed as needed, and explained thoroughly without coming across as info dumps or lecturing. The cast is recognizable based off of some tropes, but also provided enough depth and characterization so that they're not JUST tropes. The plot was well-constructed, and things that seemed extraneous had huge payoffs by the end.

The author also manages to avoid some of the things that people complain about in his dad's work, namely the commentary on every female character's body.

All in all, I really enjoyed this one and will pick up book two if and when it releases. Recommended for urban fantasy fans.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment