Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Monday, June 22, 2015

Dangerous Deception by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Dangerous Deception by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Published 2015, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Stars: ★★★★☆ (3.5)

3.5 stars

It's no secret to anyone that I really enjoyed the Beautiful Creatures series.  While it wasn't anything groundbreaking or amazing, it was lots of fun and had a great concept and world.  The Claiming, Light and Dark Casters, etc, all really entertained me.  So you could color me excited when I found out that they were writing a follow-up series with Ridley and Link in the starring roles.

Dangerous Creatures, book one, was fast-paced and highly entertaining, though quite a bit different than the first series.  Unfortunately, Dangerous Deception fell flat for me.  I was really enjoying it until I hit the end, not even realizing it was the end until I turned a few pages and fell straight into samples from each of their solo books.  It just felt unfinished... like a filler story.  It moved the story along, sure, and introduced some radical new elements to the overall arc.  I just wasn't left satisified with the plot -- it definitely couldn't have stood both on its own AND as a part of the series.  It could only work as part of the series.

Because the introduced story elements were pretty awesome, I didn't drop my score completely... and I had lots of fun in the process, so I'm going to stick with my initial feeling of a 3.5 star rating.

I'll definitely finish the series, but I'm hoping book three will seriously up the ante.

No comments:

Post a Comment