Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Friday, August 12, 2016

Review: Blood of the Earth

Blood of the Earth Blood of the Earth by Faith Hunter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Blown away. You can really tell when an author has grown (plant pun!!!) when she can take characters you don't really like and make them likeable. When she can set up a spinoff in the same world as her amazing other series and make it not only stand extremely well on its own, but make it so incredible that you beg for more.

Blood of the Earth literally has me begging for book two. I am so glad that Curse on the Land comes out in November, because I am in desperate need for more of this creatively original Urban Fantasy. Nell finds out some of the things she's known as truth her whole life are really lies. She finds out that the solitude she's chosen might not be the best life for her. She discovers family in so many senses of the word. She learns more about her strange powers even as they teeter vicariously on the edge of being out of control.

But mostly, Nell just wows me. She's got depth, strength, courage, passion, empathy, and in just this one book, I feel like I know her. Like I want to know her. Like I'm missing out on something amazing by not really knowing her outside the pages of a book.

You don't have to read Jane Yellowrock to enjoy this book. Reading this book will spoil some of the Jane Yellowrock series for you, but it's not required reading. There's enough backstory here to get you through, just enough to tempt you to read the Jane series without being so much information that you feel like you can skip them altogether. I would recommend it, as there's 10 books and a handful of short stories that help establish this world, but honestly, this is just as good a place to start as Skinwalker if you're okay with Rick's story being spoiled a little. Because honestly, Jane is kickass, Nell is kickass, and you need to read THEM ALL.

This is book #101 for me for the year, and it's probably my favorite that I've read so far, and I've read some awesome books.

Pick this one up. You won't be disappointed. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment