Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Monday, August 3, 2015

Under the Empyrean Sky by Chuck Wendig

Under the Empyrean Sky by Chuck Wendig
Published 2013, Skyscape
Stars: ★★★★☆

First, thanks to Netgalley for providing me with the Trilogy for review.  Not only do I get to read the whole thing and provide my unbridled opinion on it, but I get to do it for CHUCK books!!!  (Check out his Miriam Black series if you want a prime example of awesomeness.)  So thanks Netgalley. Other than these review copies, I got nothing in return for my review (well, maybe some satisfaction from reading a great book!)

Chuck's world this time is far from that of Miriam and her darkness.  It's a bright land of... corn.  Corn everywhere. As far as the eye can see... corn.  Not just any corn, but corn so GMO'd that it's barely edible and can move on its own.  Add yet another creepy level to the already creepy endless cornfield.  Yikes.

The Heartlanders live on the surface of the planet, tending the out-of-control kudzu-like corn and providing labor and supplies to the Empyrean, the rich people who live above in giant flotillas in the sky.

Enter Cael and his friends.  They're scavengers, trying to find anything they can to sell and provide for their families and their town.  But that's all about to change...

This book is drastically different in tone from Chuck's other works.  It's YA for one, but it's also a big story -- overall, the first one points the way towards what I think will be a revolution and a change in the status quo of Cael's entire world.

And I think the journey is going to be a good one, especially if it's half as fun and easy to tear through as this book one of the trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment