Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Trust No One by Paul Cleave

Trust No One by Paul Cleave
Published 2015, Atria
Stars: ★★★★☆

Netgalley provided me with a copy of this book for reading and review purposes.  My review is unbiased and based strictly upon my opinion of the quality of the work.

After much pondering since I finished yesterday, I've settled on some feelings.  For most of this book, I was entirely certain it would be a five star read.  The concept was awesome, the cover was gorgeous, the writing was convincing -- seriously convincing. Alzheimer's is a scary disease.  It eats away at who you are, slowly killing you while leaving you alive.  This book does an amazing job of providing some level of feeling that people who have this terrible sickness must go through.  Sure, it's probably not all medically accurate... but it's a thriller.  And it really works for the narrative.  It allows us to question as much as the protagonist does, while knowing bits and pieces more than he does because we remember things from his journal entries that he no longer can recall.

I guess what killed that fifth star for me was the ending.  An understandable but heartwrenching twist totally irked me.  Everything had built up just the way I was anticipating... and those last few pages just ripped my proverbial feet out from under me.  The ending made sense, and was almost necessary... but it tore my heart out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment