Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

The Tournament by Matthew Reilly
Published 2015(US), Gallery
Stars: ★★★★☆

Matthew Reilly is really good at thrillers.  Like, super fun, crazy explosions, fast pace, unbelievable yet unputdownable thrillers.  But then I attempted to read Troll Mountain, his foray into fantasy.  No thanks.  Not so good.  So when I saw that Reilly had branched out into historical fiction and mystery, I was a little concerned... but since I love Reilly's work (other than Troll Mountain, ick!), I had to see if this would be any good.

And it was.  I loved the characters of Bess and Ascham, and there were plenty of murders and lots of intrigue to keep it entertaining.  I'll give it four stars, with the missing star because of the convoluted solution.

All in all, a strong entry by Reilly into the historical mystery genre.  Much better than I had expected, considering Troll Mountain's blah-ness.  (Did I mention I really didn't care for Troll Mountain at all???)

Thanks Netgalley for this review copy.  I've provided my honest opinion, and gotten nothing other than the ARC in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment