Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Review: The St. Ambrose School for Girls

The St. Ambrose School for Girls The St. Ambrose School for Girls by Jessica Ward
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Thanks to Netgalley and Gallery Books for gifting me an early copy. Below is my honest review.

This one has some content/trigger warnings: mentions and depictions of suicide attempts/suicidal thoughts, mental illness/bi-polar disorder, bullying.

I gave this one four stars. I took a star off because I figured out the killer really early, even though the murder doesn't occur until very late in the story. I also felt like the story moved pretty slowly and focused a lot on Sarah's mental illness. I appreciate that the author worked very hard to depict bipolar disorder in an accurate and respectful manner, but sometimes the long bunny trails into Sarah's imaginary meanderings became a distraction from the actual story for me.

Overall, I was really impressed with Jessica Ward's ability to switch from her usual PNR worlds to this realistic and intense dark academia story. I'd definitely recommend this one to anyone who likes a gritty, dark, boarding school type story with a mystery thrown in.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment