Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Review: Let Him In

Let Him In Let Him In by William Friend
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Thanks to Netgalley and Poisoned Pen Press for gifting me an early copy of this novel. (Well, early for the US!) Below is my honest review.

This novel had a great hook - grief, twins, lost parent/partner, mysterious entity. We never know what we can trust the whole time. Is Black Mamba real? Is he imaginary? Is he a demon? Are the girls making him up? It makes for a fun, compelling read, as events keep pushing Alfie, the twins' widowed father, and Julia, the twins' aunt, towards a confrontation with the thing known as Black Mamba... and each other.

All in all, I found it to be a hard to put down read. The short chapters are split by Julia and Alfie POVs, and we learn a little more of the story from each - both past and present - as things are slowly revealed. But each chapter makes you want to read just one more, which is the sign of a great book.

I did say, the ending didn't leave me fully satisfied, and I really wish that they'd kept the UK title ("Black Mamba") for the novel. Of course, it wasn't a bad ending... I just had felt so compelled to keep reading that when I got to the end, I wanted more.

All in all, four stars. Recommended for horror fans and fans of tales of grief and rebuilding.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment