Welcome

Welcome to my train of thought. Just a warning, there might be turbulence. I'm a little eccentric, but hopefully you'll find something here that'll make the crazy worth it. Stay tuned for book reviews, ramblings on random things, and all sorts of stuff that tickles my fancy. But keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. My brain is a scary place!

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Review: Infinity Alchemist

Infinity Alchemist Infinity Alchemist by Kacen Callender
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Thanks to Netgalley and Tor Teen for the pre-release copy of this novel. Below you'll find my honest review.

This novel had a bunch of good things:

It knocks representation out of the park - trans, non-binary, polyamory, etc are all well represented in this novel in a respectful, teen-friendly way.

It has an interesting magic system and House hierarchy.

It also had some serious downsides:

The non-binary representation gets a little confusing as the pronouns change randomly from chapter to chapter. It pulled me out of the story a bit as I would have to figure out which "he" was being referenced at the time. So it's less a problem with the non-binary and more a problem with clarity from the author.

The whole point of the novel was to chase the Book, but then the Book wasn't even a real important thing at the end, and the story's conclusion was a bit of a mess. And honestly, the magic system didn't have rules or structure enough to really understand how it all actually worked.

Overall, lots of potential, but lacking in some of the execution.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment